“In Girl World, Halloween is the one night a year when a girl can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it.”
Cady Heron was wrong. SO WRONG.
Here are a few tips for not dressing trashy but also having a cute costume:
1. DON’T go with the stereotypical sexy nurse/librarian/firefighter/Disney princess/misc. occupation. It’s not cute and it’s monotonous.
2. DO be creative. Sure a political costume could be good, but I don’t think it would be comfortable to wear a Big Bird costume all night long. Try something creative such as Disney characters for a couples costume or a distressed Miss America.
3. DO wear something comfortable, not sloppy, not slutty. This is very easy to do if you think about the taste level. If I can see every inch of you, even if you are scantily-clad, it’s too much. Leave something to the imagination, plus straight from a guy friend: they’re much more interested in you if you’re creative, dress cute, not slutty. Also don’t wear a sheet and call yourself a ghost, you are not five. There are always classy ways to dress no matter what the occasion.
4. Don’t get so drunk that you loose a part of your costume. If you drink (legally, of course) stay in control. Most likely you spent something on your costume, if not money then time. Don’t waste it by getting smashed. It’s not cute being the train wreck dressed as Audrey Hepburn.
5. Make sure you have a back up plan in the costume aspect. If you’re not going home and hooking up with some rando (not advised). Bring a change of clothes (in a cross body bag, easy to carry, not costume ruining). Or, have him drive you home like a gentleman.
Stay tuned on actual Halloween for more tips.